Anemone ranunculoides 'Pleniflora'

Announcements
November 2018

Omphalodes verna

Membership

Mick told the meeting that we now have 119 members.

Chris Beardshaw

Chris will be speaking to us on a Thursday afternoon in the future.

Newsletter

This was available at the meeting. It contains the booking form for the garden tour to Hampshire next June for which bookings will be taken on a first come, first served basis. The results of the members' survey is also in the newsletter.

Workshop on hardwood cuttings

This will be held on 30 November at 2pm at Spetchley Park Gardens. If you wish to attend, please contact Mick by 17 November.

Volunteers for coffee mornings

In the survey six members volunteered to hold coffee mornings. Please would these or any other member who is happy to host a coffee morning contact Claire Constantine. The coffee mornings for next year are now arranged, so this would be for 2020.

Membership renewals

Please don't forget to renew your subscription. Our Treasurer, Richard King, would prefer subscriptions to be paid by standing order, but also accepts cheques or cash. If you would like to set up a standing order, but are unsure about doing it, please contact Richard.

Compost and manure

Six hundred pounds' worth of these has been sold.

Plant Heritage

Robin Pearce, who chairs the RHS Herbaceous Committee and is one of our members, will be speaking at the Plant Heritage meeting on Tuesday 13 November on the RHS Award of Garden Merit and RHS plant trials. Coffee and plant sale from 6.45pm, talk begins at 7.15. The location is The Log Cabin, Room 14, Pershore College, WR10 3HP. Visitors £3, Plant Heritage members and students free. Contact Joyce Heathcote on 0121 476 1340.

Earlier Announcements

July 2018

Penstemon Day at Pershore College

The RHS is running a Penstemon Day at Pershore College on 4 August from 9.30 till 3.30. Tickets are £10.

Open Garden at John and Lesley Bryant's

John and Lesley's garden at Stoulton will be open on 22 July from 2.30 to 4.30 in aid of the church there, St Edmunds. Entry is £8.

Plant Sale

This raised just over £1,000. Mick thanked everyone for their efforts.

Malvern Show, May

We need a volunteer to organise and manage the HPS stand, with support from those who have done it before. Please talk to Mick if you think you can do this. A decision is needed by October.

Questionnaires

Claire has had nearly 50 completed questionnaires. Would the five members who volunteered to hold coffee mornings or evening parties get in touch with her to discuss this.

Autumn Newsletter

Our Newsletter Editor, Pam Norrington, would like articles for this by the end of September.

Coach Outing, 18 August

The numbers for this are disappoiningly low and we may have to cancel it. The trip will leave Crowle at 9.30 and visit Stockton Bury in the morning. There will then be a stop in Leominster for everyone to find their own lunch. Aulden Farm is the visit for the afternoon. The cost is £22. If anyone would like to go on this, please contact Stella Sullivan.

This outing has now been cancelled.

Compost

At members' request, we are thinking of extending this to mushroom compost (approximately £2.75 a bag) and manure (approximately £3).

Help in the kitchen and with cakes

Three volunteers are needed to serve the tea at the September meeting and two cakes are also needed. Please contact Julia Dale if you can help.

April 2018

Coach trip 16 May

Final bookings and money were taken at the meeting.

Coach trip to Herefordshire on Saturday 18 August

Stella Sullivan will start taking bookings for this at the May meeting. We will leave Crowle at 9.30 and visit Stockton Bury in the morning. There will then be a stop in Leominster for everyone to find their own lunch. Aulden Farm is the visit for the afternoon.

Visits to Croome Park: Eleanor Coade and Coade Stone

One of our members, Christine Dodd, is a garden tour leader at Croome Park and has offered to lead two personal 'Coade Stone Tours' for HPS Worcestershire members. The tours will be at 2pm on Friday 20 April and 2pm on Monday 4 June. Ruth Guest has a list for people who want to join a tour. Christine has written an article about Mrs Coade and her stone in the spring Newsletter.

Survey

Please return these by the May meeting.

Malvern Spring Festival

The plants have been chosen and Mick Dunstan and Jude Templeton have spent some time repotting them. We will be using some pots from Whichford Pottery to give a Gothic feel to the stand. A new volunteers schedule will be sent out later this month.

Plant Heritage Penstemon Day

This is on 4 August at Pershore College. Richard King has tickets.

Group Plant Sale

Please take some flyers to distribute where you live.

Cakes

Volunteers are needed for cakes for the May meeting and the Plant Sale. Please contact Julia Dale if you can help.

NGS Open Garden

Members Ann Sheppard and John Taylor are opening their garden in Defford on 27 and 28 May for the NGS scheme. More information on the NGS website.

March 2018

Survey

Forms are being handed out at our meetings in March and April to find out what members think about our group and whether changes are needed. Claire Constantine will collate the responses and the results will be available later in the year.

Coach trip

This will take place on Wednesday, May 16 to High Glanau Manor, near Monmouth, and Abbey Dore Court, near Hereford, which is eight acres with peonies, ferns, astrantias and bamboos and a nursery. The day will be from 9am to 5pm.

Compost

This year 121 bags were ordered, with a few bags still to be picked up.

Seed workshop

February's went well with very positive comments from those, about 20, who attended. The next workshop has been arranged for May 18, 2018 at the same time, 2 - 4pm at Pershore College. This time, the subject is softwood cuttings. If you're interested please give your name to Mick at the next meeting. After the seed workshop in February, someone sent Duncan Coombs, our lecturer, a bottle of wine and a bunch of grapes to thank him for his efforts, a typically generous Hardy Plant Society gesture. Mick thanked this member.

Malvern Spring Festival

Thirty volunteers have come forward. We have had a bit of a set-back with the finances for the stand but the committee has agreed to fund the shortfall and to hold good raffles this year at events to try to recover that expenditure.

New Committee

The AGM elected a full committee. The 2018 committee members are:

ChairMick Dunstan
SecretaryLyn Maile
TreasurerRichard King
Speaker SecretaryStephanie Reader
Publicity SecretaryJayne Savage
Newsletter EditorPam Norrington
Members’ RepsTricia King and Judy Templeton

February 2018

Malvern Flower Show 10 -13 May

We have a design based on the hardiness of plants in the UK which also meets the RHS requirement to reflect the Great Exhibition of 1851. Nicola Content and her daughter Emma have been working hard finding out about plants introduced round the time of the Great Exhibition. The design features a Wardian case, which Emma has been able to source free of charge. Kathryn Elrick-Smith has agreed to help organise the stand. We’ve put in for an increased budget from the national society, to be submitted by February 17, and the entry form for the stand has to be in by 16 February.

We need a total of about 40 people to volunteer for a 90-minute session each, or possibly two sessions, on the stand. We’ll need about 12 people a day. Volunteers receive a free day pass. There will be information about the stand beforehand and details on the stand for queries about the plants or the exhibits and how to sign up new members. We do need a first-aider for the two construction days: this is urgent, so please let Mick know if you have an up-to-date certificate. Mick is taking names up to and at the March meeting – even if you’ve already said you will help, please tell him again.

Newsletter

Our next one is due out in time for our April meeting. So, Mick needs contributions by the middle of March. He already has some content, but perhaps some of our newer members could tell us about their own gardens, why they joined us and what they want to achieve in them now they’re members of the Hardy Plant Society. Please email your contributions to Mick

Volunteers

Last month several people came up to talk to Mick about the newsletter, for which many thanks. But our catering team of Julia Dale with Andrea Boulton as her deputy needs a third person to help in the kitchen every month. And every month, we need people to bake or buy a cake. The same few people are doing all the work so please think about helping. Stella Sullivan is also looking for a deputy to help her arrange our garden coach trips. If you would like to help, please see Stella. The workload isn’t enormous.

AGM 10 March

We shall start at 1.30pm. The hall should be open from about 12.30.

National AGM and Annual Lecture Day

The AGM/ALD of national society is on March 24 in Tiverton. Kathryn and Mick are going so if you’d like a lift with them, let Mick know.

Seed sowing session

Friday 16 February at Pershore College: those who are going should meet there just before 2pm.

Survey forms

At next month’s meeting the Committee will be handing out survey forms to find out what members think about the group and how things might be improved.

Coach trip 16 May

At next month’s meeting Stella Sullivan will be taking names for the first of this year’s coach trips, to High Glanau Garden and to Abbey Dore. It will cost £25 a head: we’ll leave around 9am and be back by 5.30pm.

January 2018

Rainfall

Hilda Watts had reported from Alcester that there had been 120mm of rain in December, but July was the wettest month of 2018. The last three years have been very dry compared with the last 18 years.

Committee members needed!

At our AGM in March we shall need a Newsletter Editor and a second Member's Representative to bring the Committee back up to its full strength of eight, so that the variety and number of Group activities can continue. Please talk to Mick if you would be prepared to take on either of these roles.

Compost

We have plenty of orders for the Group discounted order of compost (see November Notices); last orders will be taken at the February meeting. The orders will be delivered to Mick's garage on the edge of Worcester mid-late February.

Garden opening 11 February

Margaret Stone is opening her garden, Brockamin, for the NGS on Sunday 11 February, 11am-4pm, for her collection of snowdrops and other early-flowering bulbs. (Ed. note: You can read about Margaret's garden month by month in her blog 'Last Month in My Garden' on the national HPS website

Practical gardening sessions at Pershore College

There are some places left for the first of these sessions, which are free to members, which is on sowing seed. It's from 2 till 4pm on Friday 16 February, led by Duncan Coombs. Materials are provided and you can take home the sown containers for use in your own garden. If this session is successful others are planned for May and October on softwood and semi-ripe cuttings. Those coming need to meet at the College Reception just before 2pm.

Day coach trip, 16 May

Stella Sullivan is arranging a day by coach to visit High Glanau Manor, Monmouthshire and Abbey Dore Court Garden, Hereford on Wednesday 16 May. The health of Group funds means that the Committee has decided to subsidise the cost of the coach. More details available soon.

Garden Tour 2019

A tour is being planned to visit the gardens of Hampshire in mid-June next year. Rooms have been reserved for three nights at a hotel near Southampton.

Subscriptions

Subscriptions are now due: we have 115 members, of whom only 14 have not yet paid.

Newsletter

Articles for the spring edition are needed at latest by the end of March. Mick asked for help in preparing the newsletter ready for layout and printing.

Survey

The Committee's survey to gain information from members about the Group and its activities will be available next month.

Defibrillator training

Five members have offered to be trained to use the hall's defibrillator. If anyone else would be prepared to do this, please contact Lyn Maile.

Malvern Spring Festival, 10-13 May

The entry forms have been received and the design for our stand has been started; Cotswold Garden Flowers will provide plants and Whichford Pottery will also be working with us. Mick will ask next month for volunteers to work on the stand during the show.

News of ex-member

Wendy Martin, who was a member of our Group for many years, reports that she and Peter are settling in to their new house and garden in Somerset. A landscape designer is coming soon to make the garden more friendly for Peter and her greenhouse is arriving next week.

December 2017

Audrey Stephens

Mick reported with regret that previous member Audrey Stephens had died recently, from a stroke. The funeral is at 2pm on Friday 15 December at St John's Church, Worcester.

Chelsea

A book of photographs and comment about our Chelsea stand has been done for John McGhee and Linda Marsh. There is also a gift for each of them.

Practical gardening sessions

The first of these, 'Successful Seed Sowing', will take place at Pershore College on Friday 16 February, from 2 till 4pm. It will be led by Duncan Coombs. It is free and those participating will have some sown seeds to take home and grow on. It is important to contact Lyn Maile if you would like to come.

Compost

BHGS will be the supplier this year. The compost on offer is Sylvagrow Multipurpose, 50litre bag, for £5. With added John Innes no. 3 the cost will be £6. We need 50 bags for our group order to be accepted. Mick will take orders at the January and February meetings.

New lanyards

These will be available at the January meeting.

Evening party

This will be at Becky Dale's garden in Worcester on 4 July.

November 2017

Rainfall

Member Hilda Watts had sent the Alcester rainfall figures: 30mm in October, the same as last year. September had been unusually wet, 67mm. July, August and September had been the wettest months of the year.

Gardeners' Question Time

GQT came from the Lincolnshire HPS Group on the first weekend of the month. It mentioned its being the 60th anniversary of the HPS and our silver gilt award at Chelsea. One correction: the society has 7,000 members nationally, not 10,000 as the programme said.

Newsletter

This has gone up to 28 pages and been redesigned. The Committee hopes members like it and would like to know what they think. Mick thanked all the people who contacted him after the last meeting with content. We're still looking for a Newsletter Editor. Mick will be very happy to talk to anyone who is thinking of taking this on.

Members' Representative

Claire Constantine has joined the Committee as the Members' Representative.

Subscriptions

Richard would like to remind members about their annual subscription for 2018, due in January. Lyn has sent a reminder email. It makes life a lot easier for the Group if everyone pays by standing order.

Garden tour

A small group of members has taken on the task of organising our next gardening break, in summer 2019. They are Judith Doughty, Katherine Elrick-Smith, Lyn Maile, Linda Marsh, Ann Sheppard and Stella Sullivan.

Tri-fold programme

We've decided to publish this in December or January.

Badges

We're investigating various new types of badge, based on lanyards and hope to have them for our January meeting.

Compost

The Committee has decided to use BHGS as the supplier this year. The compost on offer is Sylvagrow Multipurpose with John Innes (fractionally finer than the usual multipurpose) at £5.70 including VAT for a 50 litre bage. Normal multipurpose is on offer at £4.93 including VAT: peat-free and RHS-endorsed. We need a group order for 50 bags. The orders will be delivered in the new year, to Mick's garage on the edge of Worcester.

Malvern Spring Festival, 10-13 May 2018

John and Jan have been organising this for us for the last few years, but have now stepped down. The plan is that Nicola Content who has been involved in this and in our Chelsea stand is going to design the stand. She will involve her young daughter, a landscape architect. We have national funding and the offer of help from Graham and Heather Farquhar, from the Lincolnshire Group who have helped us before and from other people from round the country. We'll need volunteers as usual on the stand.

Practical gardening sessions

We're planning to hold a few practical sessions next year, to help both our newer and long-standing members with skills such as semi-ripe and softwood cuttings and seed sowing and tips about what to do at that time of year. Duncan Coombs from the RHS courses at Pershore College will lead them. They'll be about two hours long, on a Friday afternoon with the first one probably in February, as a trial run. The maximum number will be about 15. They'll be free and you'll be taking home a pot of cuttings or sown containers for use in your own garden. The other sessions are planned for May and October.

Questionnaire

The Committee is putting together a short questionnaire for the early part of 2018, to see how content members are and whether we need to change anything.

Christmas meeting

Our next meeting starts at 1pm with lunch. We ask everyone to bring a plate of food to share; the Committee provides drinks and tea and coffee will be available. The raffle is free. After lunch Bill Laws is coming to speak on 'Plants that Changed the Course of History'. Please do come along.

October 2017

Celebrity Lecture

The response to the lecture has been very positive; the nurseries reported good sales and Roy Lancaster's book sold well. We have made approximately £150 profit. Mick thanked all the volunteers involved in the day.

There won't be a Celebrity Lecture as such next year, but Stephanie has booked one of the HPS' Ambassadors, Matthew Biggs, from 'Gardeners' Question Time', to speak at a meeting at Crowle, and Matthew Wilson, another HPS Ambassador, in 2019. Tim Walker will return in 2018 and there is a possibility of Chris Beardshaw speaking in 2020.

Newsletter

Mick repeated his email appeal for pieces, however short, for the autumn edition. Anything about gardens, gardening or plants that has appealed to you this year will be welcome.

David Pollitt

David has stepped down as Newsletter Editor and also from organising the Garden Tours. He will, however, still lead on our Plant Sale. Mick thanked David for all he has done for the Group.

Garden Tours

A small group of members will meet David later this month to discuss the organisation of the Tours and how we can continue with them.

Malvern Spring Show

John McGhee and Jan Vaughan will not be organising our stand at the Malvern Spring Show in future. Mick has gathered together a few core people who say they're prepared to take it on, but help will be needed nearer the time and at the show itself.

Committee Members

We now have a depleted Committee. Mick asked members, especially newer members, to consider joining the Committee as Newsletter Editor or one of the two Membership Representatives, who don't have a specific role. There are two editions of the newsletter each year, one in autumn and one in spring, so the job isn't onerous. The Committee meets four times a year before a regular Saturday meeting.

Help with Teas

We need volunteers to help with the teas and baking for future meetings. Please contact Julia Dale if you can do this.

July 2017

Rainfall report

Hilda Watts, our Alcester-based resident meteorologist says many plants have liked this dry, dry summer. According to her rain gauge, to date this year we have had 249mm, which runs at 41mm per month. Compare this with the same period last year when we had a total of 415mm – or 69mm a month, so about half the amount.

Some Chelsea consequences

We’ve a long piece in the next issue of ‘The Hardy Plant’ about our Chelsea experiences, with John and Linda reflecting on the last couple of years and others on their highlights.

Worcestershire County Council is likely to include us in a video or on its website. They have sent Mick a list of gardening questions which Lyn emailed to us all to have a look at. If you have some constructive advice, please contact him on mick.dunstan@sky.com

Mick has been asked to talk to the Redditch Inner Wheel about Chelsea next March.

Plant sale

Chelsea left-overs were a real factor in our raising a record total of just over £1500, which is nearly double our previous best.

Garden Tour

Another Pollitt masterpiece: 49 people, five days, 12 gardens and one very happy set of people. We have people writing a short piece each about the gardens we visited and there are photos on the website. Sadly the Pollitts have finally called time on organizing the tours with eight to their credit. This raises the question of how we continue the legacy David and Judy have left us. If you’d be interested in helping to organise another tour (it could be some aspect or aspects of one), please talk to Mick.

Gardens open in August

NGS opening Sunday 13, 2pm - 4.30pm at the home of John and Lesley Bryant. Admission £ 4.00 in support of the MS Society www.ngs.org.uk/?bf-garden=17183

HPS Jubilee open garden

Tuesday 22, 11am – 5pm at the home of Ann Sheppard and John Taylor. Admission £3.00; see the national website or tri-fold programme or the 60th Anniversary booklet for details.

Celebrity Lecture

We have now sold out of tickets at 150. Mick thanked those who’ve volunteered to help and will in touch in the next few weeks on what we’d like you to help with.

Hidcote volunteer

Katie Croft, the senior gardener at Hidcote, has been in touch. She’s looking for a volunteer to work one day a week for the next few years on the garden’s paper and digital records and helping with historical research. She’d like the volunteer to help with managing the database, surveying, identifying and cataloguing the plants, and doing some research. She realises that there aren’t many people who fit the bill and thinks an HPS member would be ideal!

Lyn sent us an email about this on 12 July and if anyone is interested in applying, the online application form is here: https://myvolunteering.nationaltrust.org.uk/opportunity-view?id=29ebf686-24d0-428c-b1a9-72095a470fcc&distance=0.1

April 2017

Publications

Members could collect their tri-fold programme listing our many activities over the coming 12 months. We hope to produce the next tri-fold programme in December this year, to cover from January 2018 – December 2018.

Our group newsletter was also available.

The latest edition of the national journal “The Hardy Plant” includes a report on our efforts for Chelsea and Mick’s interview with the HPS president, Roy Lancaster, looking ahead to what he thinks lies in store for the society in the next 60 years.

Group Plant Sale

Our plant sale is on 10 June in Peopleton. David Pollitt will let us us know what help he needs, but in the next few months could you please, please save any plastic bags you have and bring or send them on the sale day to help buyers carry away their purchases.

Rainfall report

One of our senior members, Hilda Watts, has been keeping her usual meticulous eye on the daily rainfall in Alcester and reports that in January there was a total rainfall of 55mm. That fell to 23mm in February and went up to 42 mm in March. That makes a total rainfall for the first three months of the year of just 120mm. That compares with a total of 207mm for the fist three months of 2016 – and shows we’ve had a dry start to the year. Everyone seems to think plants are two or three weeks ahead of time of year with a magnificant display of blossom on many of our trees.

Conservation Scheme

It’s that time of year again when we invite all keen propagators to request Conservation Plants for delivery in the autumn. All of you are welcome as growers. By growing a Conservation Plant, all you are doing is making a simple commitment to propagate the plant for return to the scheme. The deal is that you get a free plant and give a plant back when you’ve propagated it.

A list of Conservation Plants, with photos, is available on the HPS website; plus lots of information on the scheme itself: http://www.hardy-plant.org.uk/about-plants/conservation.

Please contact Jenny Constant with your requests as soon as possible, and by 22 April at the latest. She also has some conservation plants available now, on a first come first served basis – they are Iris ‘Peter Hewitt’, Zantedeschia ‘Glencoe’, Hemerocallis ‘Cherry Ripe’ and Geranium ‘Pink Delight’. We are planning to use the iris and zantedeschia on our Chelsea stand, subject to flowering.

Celebrity lecture

Volunteers are still needed to help at our Celebrity Lecture on September 9 at Pershore College. Please contact Mick if you can help.

National AGM

The 60th anniversary AGM near Norwich at the end of March attracted five Worcester group members. The two wonderful speakers were Matthew Biggs, from Gardeners’ Question Time, and Alan Gray from East Ruston Old Vicarage. Matt talked about what we have to learn from the great gardeners and Alan on taking risks with plant hardiness and not getting too paranoid about taking some risks with more tender plants. Take more chances was the theme that developed during the day.

Spetchley Plant Fair

The Specialist Plant Fair at Spetchley Park is on April 23 from 11am to 5pm. Around 40 nurseries will be there. It’s £5 to enter, which covers entrance to the park and a guided tour. Our speaker next month, Jack Wilgoss, from Wildegoose Nursery perennial violas, Julie Ritchie from Hoo House Nursery near Tewkesbury, our speaker in October, and Cotswold Garden Flowers will all be there, and Great Dixter Garden will also have a stall. Our guest speaker in April, Kim Hurst, will also be selling her organic plants, grown in peat-free Fertile Fibre compost.

March 2017

February 2017

January 2017

November 2016

October 2016

July 2016

Diary:

14th May 2016

March 2016

February 2016

January 2016

November 2015

October 2015

July 2015

March 2015

January 2015

November 2014

October 2014

September 2014

April 2014

Flyers for the June plant sale are available. Please put them up in any suitable place.

Details of the garden visits are now available. Please contact Sue Chitty if you would like to go on either of them. Note that the first is on 15 May, before the next meeting.

In the next National newsletter you should have a questionnaire about the kinds of things you want the National society to do. The new Chairman is anxious to have as many members reply as possible, so please fill it in – it can be done online as well as on paper.

The next Spetchley Specialist Plant Fair is on Sunday 27 April 2014, 11.00am - 5.00pm. They are expecting over 30 nurseries, and the £5 entry charge includes admission to the gardens.

The first coffee morning this year, hosted by Wendy Richards, is on Thursday 1 May, before the next meeting.

Mick Dunstan is preparing a number of profiles of members' gardens, including photos and an interview. We hope to be able to show these at a Christmas meeting. If you would like your garden to be included, please contact Mick.

There has been a problem with the nursery discount scheme. Don't assume that the discount is still available. Please check first before selecting your plants.

We will have a stand again this year at the RHS Malvern Spring Festival, 8-11 May.

Congratulations to Jan Vaughan whose article about pruning winter-flowering shrubs is in the spring 2014 'Cornucopia'.

March 2014

Sue Chitty has organised an evening at Bretforton Manor on Thursday 15 May. This is by car. There will be a tour of the garden, starting at 6.30. Cost £6 + £2 refreshments. More details and a sign-up sheet at the April meeting. [10 April update - cost now £5 + £2 refreshments]

Sue has also organised a day trip on Friday 19 September to John Massey's nursery at Kingswinford, with a tour of John's garden, and then going on to Preen Manor in Shropshire. Cost £21. More details and a sign-up sheet at the next meeting. [10 April update - cost now £22]

David Pollitt is organising another of his garden tours, for June 2015, to North Yorkshire. More details in the autumn newsletter.

John McGhee is taking orders for plant supports for the April meeting. If you would like to order some, please complete this form and email it to him before the meeting.

The next two local Plant Heritage meetings at Pershore College, which start with a plant sale and coffee at 6:45, are "Plants of the Season" on 11 March and "Hellebores, Hepaticas and Trilliums" on 8 April.

Margaret Stone is opening her garden, Brockamin, on Friday 21 March, 2-6pm, and Sunday 23 March, 10-6pm. Details in February national newsletter.

Springridge Nurseries, Old Turnpike Road, Crowle, is offering a discount to members for a month. Another Crowle nursery, Hyde Cottage Palms & Exotics in Church Road, is closing and selling stock at reduced prices. We are assured that many of their plants are reasonably frost hardy.

The Seed Distribution has finished for 2014 with some seed remaining. Sue Pinsent (Seed Distribution Coordinator) would very much like to make this available as gifts to any charitable organisations who could benefit. If you have involvement with organisations who would like to make use of this seed, please contact Sue or Joy, the HPS Administrator.

November 2013

December's Christmas meeting will be at Peopleton as usual, but NEXT YEAR OUR INDOOR MEETINGS WILL BE HELD IN CROWLE PARISH HALL, Church Road, WR7 4AZ.

As usual for our December meeting we will be starting at 1.00pm (an hour early) with a Bring and Share buffet. Please bring some food to share. Drinks, including wine, will be supplied. We will also be holding a free raffle.

We are still looking for someone to take on the role of chairman when Bev steps down in March. If anyone is willing to do this please complete a nomination form, or contact a member of the committee for more information.

Roger Smith is happy to stand for election as treasurer when John McGhee steps down in March, but as he will not be able to attend many Saturday meetings we will need someone else to look after the money at these meetings. Would anyone willing to do this this please let John know.

To save handling a lot of cheques at the start of the year, John would like members to pay the subscription by standing order. If you are willing to do this please complete the form included in the newsletter and return it to John McGhee.

Several local nurseries have agreed to give a discount to members on plants, though not on sundries such as compost. We will produce a discount card for members to use.

Please return any outstanding plant conservation forms to Jenny Constant by December.

October 2013

Congratulations to Alan Hale whose newsletter article has been republished in Cornucopia.

To avoid handling so many cheques, we are asking members if they would pay by standing order in the future. A form will be included in the Autumn newsletter.

The Worcestershire Group was formed in October 1995. We are planning to celebrate the twentieth anniversary with an event held at Pershore College, possibly in September 2015. It will include a well known speaker and lunch, and will be free to Worcestershire Group members.

September 2013

Next year our indoor meetings will be held in Crowle Village Hall, Church Road, WR7 4AZ where we held the Christmas meeting last year. The June plant sale will again be held at Peopleton as it was this year.

We need a new chairman to take over from Bev in March. The main functions are are what you see Bev doing at the meetings, reading out the notices, introducing the speaker, giving a vote of thanks at the end of the talk and asking the speaker to draw the raffle. The chairman also chairs about three committee meetings a year, usually held on the morning of a Saturday afternoon meeting. Next year they will be held in a room at Crowle Village Hall. Please let a committee member know if you are interested.

Kathryn would like feedback from this year's June Plant Sale, both things you thought went well and suggestions for improvements. She would also like contributions for the newsletter by 12 October.

Jackie Davis has now retired from the plant conservation role. Jenny Constant has taken over.

There is still a shortage of volunteers to help with the teas at meetings and to provide cakes. No one would need to do this very often if more people would contribute. If you don't feel able to make a cake you could always buy one! Please let Julia Dale know if you are willing to help.

Julia has agreement from three local garden centres to offer members a 10% discount on plants, but not on sundries auch as compost or tools. Details will be in the newsletter and on the web when we have agreed how the scheme will work.

Margaret Stone will be opening her garden at Brockamin, next Sunday, 22 September, in support of Plant Heritage. It includes a national collection of Aster novae-angliae.

July 2013

Autumn Newsletter

Would you please send any copy and photos for the next newsletter to Kathryn by 12 October (the date of the October meeting). As always, please send any photos suitable for the website to Colin.

April 2013

Bev gave heartfelt thanks to all those who had provided help at the National AGM and Lecture Day on 23 March. Especially those who were working in the car park in the snow and ice from 8am. Cue a round of applause.

There is one seat left on the bus for the Cumbria trip, if anyone else would like to go.

Ann Sheppard will be opening her garden under the NGS on 4, 5 and 6 May and again on 15 and 16 June.

March 2013

All seed from the HPS seed distribution has now been used and random sets are no longer available. The note about random sets in the current Newsletter is inaccurate as the supply has not lasted as long as expected. The seed supplied by Chris Chadwell also mentioned in the Newsletter remains available and members can request this from Joe Sime as detailed.

Would people willing to help with the plant sale on the day, 8 June, please contact Bev.

Lynda Niccolls has a supply of National HPS posters which also show basic details for our Worcestershire group. If you know of a suitable place to display one, please contact Lynda. Her contact details are inside the back ciover of the newsletter.

February 2013

We have been offered the opportunity to have a stand at Spetchley Specialist Plant Fair again this year, but we would need volunteers in order to take this up including people to help put up and take down the display. The fair is on Sunday 21 April. Anyone willing, please contact Bev or Judith soon.

The Pulmonaria Specialist Group of the HPS is holding its 21st anniversary meeting at Broadheath Village Hall on 13 April. Local HPS group members are invited.

There is a Plant Heritage meeting on Tuesday 12 February with a talk by Simon Gulliver of Birmingham Botanic Garden on Ernest Wilson at Pershore College in Room 14 at 7:15pm.

Olive Mason's garden, Dial Park, is open on Wednesday 20 February, 11am till 4pm.

Please make sure that you have filled in a form for any Conservation Scheme plant that you have and return it to Jackie. If you have had one of these plants for more than four years, it is now yours. However if you continue to propagate and bring plants to our sales, there are some special labels.

Four committee members wish to stand down by March 2014. Please consider seriously taking up a committee role. There will be an article in the next newsletter describing the jobs that will become vacant.

Members are reminded that National subscriptions are due by the end of March and that group membership is open only to those who are national members.

John thanked those who have volunteered to help with the National AGM and Lecture Day. He will be contacting you with further details soon.

The copy date for the Spring Newsletter is 9 March.

As we expect this year's Group Plant Sale to be as successful as last year's, we have decided to make it the sole event on 8 June. There will be lots of plants and refreshments as usual so that we can make this into a social occasion as well as a plantfest. So even if you are not able to bring plants for sale, please come along. Michael Leech's talk has been moved to fill the October slot, vacated by Jeff Bates due to his duties as Vice-Chairman of Britain in Bloom. We hope Jeff will speak early next year.

November 2012

Christmas Meeting

This will be held at Crowle Parish Hall, Church Road, WR7 4AZ, which is just south of the village towards Broughton Hackett. As usual for our December meeting we will be starting at 1.00pm (an hour early) with a Bring and Share buffet. Please bring some food to share. Drinks, including wine, will be supplied.

Plant Sale

We are hoping to hold a plant sale in June at Peopleton as we did last year. If every member could donate half a dozen plants this would give us a good number to sell so please bear this in mind as you sow, split or discard plants in the spring.

HPS Trustees

There is currently an opportunity for three more people to become Trustees of the national HPS. If anyone is interested, please talk to Vivienne McGhee. [Feb 13: These vacancies have now been filled.]

HPS Annual Lecture Day and AGM

Worcestershire Group will be hosting this event on behalf of the Hardy Plant Society at Pershore College on Saturday 23rd March 2013. Anyone willing to help on the day, please contact John McGhee if you haven't already done so. Unfortunately helpers will still need to pay to attend the day.

Our Web Site

If anyone has suggestions or ideas for improving our group web site, either the style or the content, please contact Colin Doughty.

Cumbria Tour

Next year’s garden tour will be to Cumbria, departing Sunday 16th June and returning Thursday 20th June. More details and a booking form can be found in the newsletter.

Day Trips Next Year

We currently do not have any day trips planned for next year. If anyone would like to organise one, please contact a member of the committee.

July 2012

Peopleton Autumn Show

The group has been offered a promotion table at this show for no charge, but to be effective it would need to be manned. Would anyone willing to help with this please let Bev know.

Talks for other local groups

We have had requests from other, smaller, local garden groups to provide someone to give a talk about hardy plants. This could provide good publicity for our group. If anyone is interested in doing this, would they please contact Marilyn.

Plant Sale

The sale on 9 June went very well. There were minor difficulties but the committee felt it worth holding another next year. The proposal is to start the sale later in the day to give more time in the morning for setting it up, and keep it running while the talk is held in the other room in the hall.

Belgian visit to the Cotswolds

A Belgian group planning to tour the Cotswolds next June had asked for suggestions. We wondered whether any of our members, especially ones living to the eastern side of the county, would like to host the group. Would anyone interested please contact Judith.

February 2012

Newletter Editor

David Pollit will be standing down as group secretary at the AGM in March. Judith Doughty is willing to continue as newsletter editor, but has offered to take on the secretary post instead. If she is elected to that post we will need a new newsletter editor. So far there are no nominations, so would you please consider whether you would be willing to take on a committee post, especially either one of those two roles.

Malvern Spring Show

Worcestershire group will be putting on a display at the Malvern Spring Show as the HPS representatives. We are currently looking for people to help with design of the stand, build up of the stand prior to the opening of the show, volunteers for stand duty during the show and help with breaking down the stand on Sunday evening. Anyone who helps on the stand during the day will have free entry to the show. Contact John McGhee if you are interested.

Spetchley Plant Fair, Sunday 22 April

We will stage a display on similar lines to that put on last year. John McGhee will take the lead, with Bev Drewitt, Celia Guest and David Pollitt as his main assistants on the day. They would welcome help from members in taking a turn manning the stand. It was a really good day last year and promises to be so again.

Conservation Scheme

Jackie Davies thanked those who had returned conservation scheme plant forms, but there are still some outstanding. She would like them returned within the next month.

Refreshments

Would anyone willing to help with refreshments at a meeting, either providing a cake or helping with teas, please contact Julia Dale.

January 2012

Plant Sale

We are holding a plant sale in the morning of 9 June at Peopleton, as a fund raiser. Other groups have tried this with some success. If every member could donate half a dozen plants this would give us a good number to sell so please bear this in mind as you sow, split or discard plants in the spring.

Newsletter

The copy date for the next newsletter is 11 February, our next meeting, but please don't necessarily wait until then. Judith is eagerly awaiting all your contributions.

Galanthus Group

The new HPS Galanthus Group is holding its inaugural meeting on 19 February in Chaddesley Corbett. Jim Almond will talk about special snowdrops, followed by a visit to Olive Mason's garden, Dial Park, close by. HPS members not in the specialist group are welcome at a cost of £14.

Olive's garden is also open under the NGS on Wednesday 15 February.

Dublin Trip

The dates for this trip are 2 to 6 July. Anyone who is interested, please contact Becky Dale before the end of January.

Conservation Scheme

Jackie Davies thanked those who had returned conservation scheme plant forms, and asked those who still had forms to bring them to the next meeting.

November 2011

Christmas Meeting

As usual for our December meeting we will be starting at 1.00pm (an hour early) with a Bring and Share buffet. Please bring some food to share. Drinks, including wine, will be supplied.

Christmas will come early for one lucky person as we will also be holding a free raffle for a gardening token.

There will be a second hand gardening bookstall so please bring along any donations for this, as well as any old gardening tools for our exhibition. The latter should be labelled with your name and explanation of the tool (if this is not obvious). Please give books and tools to David Pollitt.

Plant Sale

We are hoping to hold a plant sale in May or June at Peopleton as a fund raiser. Other groups have tried this with some success. If every member could donate half a dozen plants this would give us a good number to sell so please bear this in mind as you sow, split or discard plants in the spring.

Committee

There is a form to nominate people to stand for committee in this autumn's newsletter. Please consider standing as new blood is needed as old members step down. Speak to Bev Drewitt or David Pollitt if you are interested and would like more details. There is usually a maximum of 3 committee meetings a year, held the morning of the main meeting, so it need not be too much of a chore.

Newsletter

The newsletter is only as interesting as it is because some members write articles for it. Why not join this select band and write about your garden, a favourite flower or a good garden to visit? All articles gladly received by Judith Doughty in any form viz handwritten, typed or emailed.

October 2011

We are holding an exhibition of old gardening tools at the December meeting so if anybody has anything suitable, please bring them to the meeting together with a label with details of what it is, its use etc and the owner's name.

Also we are having a sale of gardening books so if anyone wants to donate any books they no longer want or need, please give them to David Pollitt. Any not sold will be given to a charity shop afterwards.

Our group's stand at the Malvern Autumn show was based on Pippa's arrangement of michaelmas daisies, heucheras and actaea borrowed from Paul Picton and Bob Brown. It also incorporated two of the new roll up banners belonging to the Society. The display attracted a lot of attention from many members of the public who might enjoy membership, so we plan to have another stand at next year's show.